The World Bank Group Young Professionals Program is a two-year leadership development program at the start of a five-year employment contract with the World Bank, IFC or MIGA. Young Professionals (YPs) start the program in Washington, DC, where they engage in intensive training—on-the-job and in the classroom—learning the fundamentals of leadership and development operations across institutions, and how to identify opportunities for joint impact.
PROGRAM UPDATE: The World Bank and IFC have merged their respective Young Professionals Programs into one World Bank Group Young Professionals Program (WBG YPP).
The new program is now accepting applications on behalf of three institutions (the World Bank, IFC and MIGA). Building on the rich legacy of its predecessor programs, the WBG YPP will recruit and develop future leaders to collaborate effectively across our institutions on joint WBG solutions to development challenges.
Young Professionals are recruited from around the world, with preference to nationals of WBG member countries and countries of operations. We welcome all qualified individuals from diverse professional, academic, and cultural backgrounds to apply.
WHO CAN APPLY?
To be considered for the WBG YPP, applicants must:
- Be born on or after October 1, 1988
- Have a master’s or doctoral degree*
- Specialize in a field relevant to YPP Business Areas
- Demonstrate relevant professional experience or continued study at the doctoral level**
- Be fluent in English
The Bank’s Group recruitment policy is to hire staff of the highest caliber, on as wide a geographical basis as possible, with preference to nationals of WBG member countries or countries of operations.
Graduate degree requirements:
For World Bank placement: Complete a relevant master’s degree by June 30, 2020 or PhD before September 2021. Fields of study should be related to a a World Bank Business Area.
For IFC & MIGA placement: Complete a relevant graduate degree before September 2021. Fields of study should be related to an IFC or MIGA Business Area, including but not limited to a Master’s of Business Administration (or equivalent), Economics, Finance, International Relations, Science and Engineering.
Professional experience requirements:
For World Bank placement: Demonstrate 3+ years of relevant experience, or the equivalent in continued study at the doctoral level.
For IFC & MIGA placement: Demonstrate 4+ years of relevant experience in finance, political risk insurance and credit enhancement, project/program development, economic development and/or consulting. Certifications such as the CFA are a plus.
To be competitive, applicants should additionally:
- Display a commitment and passion for international development
- Possess outstanding academic credentials
- Exhibit excellent client engagement, communication and team leadership skills
- Demonstrate knowledge of relevant sector trends
The following attributes are a plus:
- Work experience in emerging markets or developing countries
- Full proficiency in one of the following official WBG languages: Arabic, Chinese, French, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish
- Applications for the inaugural WBG YPP cohort are open from June 1 – June 30 for all profiles and will reopen from August 17 – September 21 for IFC and MIGA profiles only.
- Academic Credentials*
- 2 Short Essays
- Short Summary of Thesis or Dissertation (World Bank candidates only)
- 3 Professional or Academic Recommendations
- Diploma, Degree Completion Letter, Proof of Enrollment w/ Expected Graduation Date or Transcript.
- Recommendations will be requested via email during the eligibility screening stage.
Question 1: In 500 words or less; please tell us what inspires you to work at the World Bank Group and why you would be a good fit for the WBG YPP. You may incorporate your personal and professional experience (area of expertise, region or sector) in your answer.
Question 2: In 500 words or less, please share your thoughts on the value of the new World Bank Group Young Professionals Program and why joint WBG solutions (public, public-private & private) to development challenges are so important.
The World Bank Group is closely monitoring COVID-19 developments. To ensure the safety of our current and prospective staff, the 2020 YPP interviews will be conducted virtually. Additional activities may include:
- An assessment center, where you will be asked to review and discuss documents
- Timed computer-based financial tests
- Applicants who are invited to interview will be provided with more detail as the process moves along.
For tips on interviewing at the World Bank Group
Candidates are assessed based on experience, technical expertise, and competencies such as client orientation, leadership and communication.
We welcome all qualified individuals from diverse professional, academic, and cultural backgrounds, regardless of gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation or disability. Sub-Saharan African nationals, Caribbean nationals, women and persons with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply.
The WBG YPP conducts a disability-inclusive recruitment process. Program information, including informational videos, presentations and brochures are available in accessible formats, while disability accommodations are made available throughout the application and onboarding process. Please contact the YPP office at firstname.lastname@example.org to request materials or additional information.