WAHO, The West African Health Organization intends to recruit two (02) Interns in Preparedness and response to infectious diseases outbreaks with experience in epidemics and infectious diseases control to help to improve information and programs implementation in West Africa.
CALL FOR EXPRESSION OF INTEREST (Individual Consulting Service)
RECRUITMENT OF TWO (02) INTERNS IN PREPAREDNESS AND RESPONSE TO INFECTIOUS DISEASES OUTBREAKS
General and Specific Objectives
The assignment requires an intern to support WAHO in collecting relevant data and conducting an analysis for identifying trends, challenges, and priority areas for more population impact.
The objectives of this work are to support.
• Intern supporting the Covid-19 pandemic response in West Africa
– Desk review of all relevant literature to inform WAHO team and management on Covid-19 pandemic situation in West Africa (ECOWAS Member States and partners);
– Mapping of the relevant stakeholders and network within the region that work on COVID-19 pandemic and analysis their perspectives
– Organization and administration of COVID-19 online trainings in West Africa;
– Implementation of the COVID-19 priority interventions (Simulation exercises, cross border
Collaborations and others) including CAPS activities to improve the COVID-19 regional response in ECOWAS region;
– Gender and equity analysis in Covid-19 pandemic response in ECOWAS region;
– Monitoring, learning, and evaluation of the progress of WAHO’s COVID-19 pandemic response Interventions.
– Documentation of COVID-19 response in ECOWAS region.
• Intern supporting the operationalization of the Regional One Health Coordination Mechanisms
– Desk review of all relevant literature to inform WAHO teams and management on the
implementation of One Health approach in ECOWAS region ECOWAS region (ECOWAS departments, ECOWAS Member States and partners);
– Mapping of the relevant stakeholders and networks within ECOWAS region operating in One health approach and analysis theirs perspectives;
– Coordination within the regional One Health secretariat with between the ECOWAS Regional
Animal Health Center, the ECOWAS Early warning department and the ECOWAS Department of Environment;
– Development of the regional One Health coordination mechanisms documents (including the strategic plan, the legal framework and the
– Operationalization of the One Health regional technical working groups West Africa and serve as a secretariat in their activities;
– One Health trainings and experience sharing across ECOWAs region.
Key skills, technical background and experience required
– An Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) or Doctor of Medicine (MD);
– An advanced degree (Master’s or Ph.D.) in public health, social sciences, and health policy and systems analysis and/or field epidemiology (FELTP), or any related discipline can be advantage;
– At least 2 years of field experience in infectious disease management or epidemics prevention and control. Experience in West Africa would be an added advantage (This criteria is valid only for the Intern supporting the Covid-19 pandemic response in West Africa);
– At least 2 years of field experience in the implementation of infectious disease management or epidemics prevention and control or in One Health multisectoral collaboration. Experience in West Africa would be an added advantage (This criteria is valid only for the Intern supporting the operationalization of the Regional One Health Coordination Mechanisms);
– Good analytical thinking skills (quantitative + qualitative analysis);
– Have a good knowledge of ECOWAS commission and its related institutions and agencies;
– Have a good scientific writing skills and ability to draft health related activity reports;
– Have a good command of at least one of the three official languages of ECOWAS (French, English, and Portuguese). A good command of a second language would be an asset;
– Have a good command of IT tools.
Duration, Duty Station and Nature of Appointment
This is a USAID- funded Consultancy. The interns shall be appointed for a period of six (06) month renewable based on satisfactory performance and availability of funds.
The interns will be based at RCSDC Headquarters in Abuja, Nigeria.
Applicants interested in this position should provide information that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience. The application should include a cover letter indicating the position applied for, detailed Curriculum Vitae – including description of past similar assignments, and experience – and copies of supporting documents).
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
The interns will be selected in accordance with the procedures for the selection of individual consultants as set out in the tender code of ECOWAS.
Information, Deadline and Address for Submission of Applications:
Interested candidates may access the TORs on WAHO website at:
Further information can be obtained by contacting the following person, Madam Lalaissa AMOUKOU, Email: email@example.com
Expression of interest should be submitted via the platform https://data.wahooas.org/tenders/ tenders/list Expressions of interest will be received no later than 21 January, 2021 at 12:00 GMT.